The Queen Elizabeth II Generation Facility (QEII) is owned by SaskPower, the provincial utility in Saskatchewan. An overview of the QEII follows below:
- Originally named the South Saskatchewan River Generating Station; renamed and officially commissioned in 1959 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
- Natural gas-fired station located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Three original units with a combined generating capacity of 218-net MW
- Of the original three units, two units had a combined generating capacity of 123-net MW
- The third original unit had a generating capacity of 95-net MW and was commissioned in 1971
- Six 25-MW combustion gas turbines, along with systems to produce additional electricity from waste heat, were commissioned in June 2002; the combined-cycle technology adds 150 MW of supply and reduces our greenhouse gas emissions by an amount equal to emissions from 30,000 cars!
- Three natural gas turbines were added in 2010. Each one provides 36-net MW for a total of 108-net MW
- Total generating capacity 430-net MW
Saskatoon Light & Power controls the distribution grid in the City of Saskatoon in the city's original 1958 boundaries which includes the energy-intensive downtown core. It would seem that a district heating project in the Northern part of the downtown core may be feasible.